Concave Brand Tracking has manually combed through the 50 most-watched movies of 2021 recording every product placement on screen or in the dialogue. We also measured how visible the brands were, how long they were on screen for and how much advertising value they generated.
Using an in-house model which factors mentions, screen time, product discernibility, logo/name visibility, and global viewership (both theatrical and non-theatrical) Concave Brand Tracking has determined the total global value each brand got from its 2021 movie product placements.
We recorded over 300 different types of products from over 1,200 brands. The following is the top 100 brands, ranked by their total advertising value.
product placement analysis
- Only 44 of 2021’s top 100 brands were in the 2020 top 100 and 35 were also in the 2019 top 100.
- 32 of the top 100 brands were car manufacturers. Electronics companies were the 2nd most common type of brands, followed by eyewear and sports brands.
- Between them, these 100 brands received over 1.7 billion dollars worth of global product placement advertising value in 2021. This accounted for 63% of all the value enjoyed by brands in 2021 movies (2.7 billion dollars in total).
- Each brand on this list got over $4,00,000 worth of advertising value from appearing in 2021 movies.
- 17 brands have consistently made this top 100 list since 2014: Adidas, Apple, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Dell, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nike, Ray-Ban, Samsung, Sony, and Toyota.
- 19 of these 100 brands only appeared in a single 2021 movie. 53 appeared in between two and ten, 19 in between 11 and 20 while only seven appeared in 30 or more.
- Ford was in 39 of the top 50 movies of 2021. More than any other brand.
- FREE GUY featured 50 brands from this top 100, more than any other movie.
- 47 of the 50 most-watched movies of 2021 featured at least one brand. Only DUNE, ENCANTO, and RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON were totally brand-free.