While Brands in movies mostly appear on screen, they come up in the dialogue as well. In the top 50 movies at the 2017 US box office, Concave Brand Tracking recorded 193 Brands which combined for a total of over 370 mentions. Below we take a closer look at the 10 most mentioned Brands.
#10 Lamborghini – 2 movies, 4 mentions
Lamborghini got two mentions in both THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS and TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT.
In THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS it was mentioned as Tyrese Gibson’s character drives an orange 2006 Murciélago LP640.
In TRANFORMERS, Lamborghini is mentioned as one of the autobots takes the form of 2016 Centenario LP 770-4.
- “Why are they shooting at me? Maybe cause you’re in an Orange Lamborghini I don’t know.” – THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS
- “What, like your walking, talking Lamborghini?” – TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT
Lamborghini also made our top 100 list of most visible product placement Brands in 2017 movies.
#9 David Hasselhoff – 2 movies, 6 mentions
The Hoff gets mentioned once in ATOMIC BLONDE and repeatedly in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.
- “David Hasselhoff’s in town.” – ATOMIC BLONDE
- “I told Gamora, how when I was a kid I used to pretend David Hasselhoff was my dad. He’s a singer and actor from Earth, really famous guy” – GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.
- “I guess David Hasselhoff did kind of end up being my dad after all.” – GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.
#8 The New York Times – 2 movies, 46 mentions
The New York Times was mentioned once in GIRLS TRIP and 45 times in THE POST.
Interestingly, the Washington Post was only mentioned 18 times in its eponymous movie.
- “You can purchase Ryan Pierce’s latest New York Times Best Seller” – GIRLS TRIP
- “He is trying to censor the goddamn New York Times” – THE POST
- “Your Honour, the stories published in The Times and now The Post have created a diplomatic and security disaster for the United States” – THE POST
#5 (tied) YouTube, Uber and Microsoft – 3 movies, 3 mentions
YouTube was mentioned in PITCH PERFECT 3, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING and THE EMOJI MOVIE.
Uber had mentions in GET OUT, HAPPY DEATH DAY and SPLIT.
Microsoft was alluded to in A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS, THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE and WONDER.
- “And now, an a cappella group with a few YouTube clicks.” – PITCH PERFECT 3
- “And maybe the Uber driver that I spat on last week.” – HAPPY DEATH DAY
- “Really? Because I brought a PowerPoint…Still boring!” – THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE
Microsoft also made our top 100 list of most visible Brands in 2017 movies.
#4 Beyoncé – 3 movies, 4 mentions
Beyoncé was mentioned once in A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS and PITCH PERFECT 3 as well as twice in GIRLS TRIP.
- “I’m not Beyoncé” – A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS
- “It’s like traveling with Beyoncé…This is like traveling with Beyoncé!” – GIRLS TRIP
- “Ooh. Is that an AKG C-24? …Yes, it certainly is. Incredibly rare. Madonna, Beyoncé, Joan Baez” – PITCH PERFECT 3
#3 Star Wars – 3 movies, 15 mentions
Star Wars was mentioned once in TRANFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT, three times in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING and 11 times in WONDER.
- “Eh, Cade, what’s with this C-3PO rip-off?” – TRANFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT
- “Join me, and together we’ll build my new LEGO Death Star” – SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
- “I love to lightsaber fight with my dad. And watch Star Wars movies with him” – WONDER
#2 Apple – 5 movies, 6 mentions
Apple got one mention in each of the following movies: WONDER, PITCH PERFECT 3, GIRLS TRIP and BABY DRIVER. It came up twice in A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS.
- “It’s basically an iPhone. You know, it doesn’t play music or, you can’t call” – WONDER
- “Stacie! Stacie’s calling me on FaceTime.” – PITCH PERFECT 3
- “You put me on FaceTime.” – GIRLS TRIP”
- “Oh, I got different iPods for different days and moods” – BABY DRIVER
- “Good night, dear children. Here are gift cards for iTunes” – A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS
Apple was also the 4th most visible Brand on screen.
#1 Instagram – 5 movies, 10 mentions
Instagram got mentioned once in THE EMOJI MOVIE, KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE, JUMANJI and A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS. It also got mentioned 6 times in GIRLS TRIP.
- “Are you Instagramming?” – THE EMOJI MOVIE
- “Okay, so according to her Instagram feed, Charlie’s ex-girlfriend is up ahead at the VIP bar.” – KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE
- “The fact that I’m not Instagramming this right now is insane.” – JUMANJI
- “She is my girlfriend. Now you are going to Instagram.” – A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS
- “Bitch, your man is sleeping with a Instagram skank” – GIRLS TRIP